Tuesday, June 10, 2008

shuckin' the corn......




I think that there are some things that every kid should experience. In my childhood, I had the pleasure of having fresh vegetables and getting to do the work to eat them. I can remember going into the corn field and breaking the corn (and running into snakes and other yucky creatures). I also have fond memories of eating english peas right off the vine and watching the bats fly around my grandparents house in New York. Those were the good ole' days!!
I am finding that the older I get, the simpler I want life to be. I am not interested in complicated and want my kids to see that we don't always have to be in a rush-I want to slow the pace and enjoy life!
We have been blessed to have great family and Uncle Tommy gave us a bushel of fresh corn on Sunday. Since we were busy on Monday, we knew that we needed to shuck the corn today. It was quite an experience!! Mr. Man was down for a nap, and we took the girls on the back porch and showed them what to do. They were so excited to be a part of the process and enjoyed it when they found the silk worms!! They wanted to know if they could keep them for pets!! Of course, that was a big NO!! But I must say, it was nice to see them so interested in working to get fresh food. We tried to explain the difference between the taste, (between fresh and frozen) but we knew that it would be clear when they tasted it.
I am glad that I was able to show them how to put corn up. It is something that I wanted to be sure to pass along. As we ate some of the corn for dinner, Beatrice said that she could taste the difference!! I hope that as they grow they too see to slow down and enjoy what life has to offer!
Blessings,
Kim

1 comments:

jennifer said...

So where is my corn? :-)